The purpose of the Department of Health, Physical Education and Recreation (HPER) is:
- to provide a comprehensive academic program in health, physical education, and recreation for students who plan to pursue one of these fields as a profession;
- to provide professional preparation for prospective teachers in the area of physical education;
- to provide a service program which will afford all students the opportunity to learn and participate in a wide range of activities which will benefit them now and in the future;
- to provide recreational activities that will enable students and faculty to enjoy their leisure time in a program that will benefit them physically, mentally, and socially; and
- to educate individuals about risk factors associated with certain lifestyle choices and provide them with the skills to make behavioral changes that will improve their health and the quality of their lives.