Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education
The Department of Elementary Education at UNC Pembroke offers a B.S. in Elementary Education with teacher licensure. The program:
- allows candidates to develop the content knowledge necessary to become a successful teacher in the Kindergarten-Grade 6 learning environment
- provides candidates opportunities for hands-on classroom experiences
- prepares educators that will engage and motivate their students in active learning and inspires them to become lifelong learners
- develops professional educators who are committed, collaborative, and competent in their chosen profession
The UNCP Teacher Education Program is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and the Undergraduate Elementary Education program is approved by the NC State Board of Education. Individuals who complete the Undergraduate Elementary Education program are eligible for a Standard Professional I license to teach in the state of North Carolina.
Masters of Arts in Elementary Education
At the graduate level, the department offers the M.A. Ed degree in Elementary Education. The mission of the master’s program in elementary education is to prepare the experienced teacher for full participation in their chosen profession as leader, researcher, and master practitioner. Through collaboration, inquiry, reflection and practice teachers engage in professional development to:
- improve student learning and academic achievement of their students,
- strengthen the teaching and learning environments of their schools
- enhance collaborative relationships with diverse families and communities
Ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of the top 100 Online Education Programs
The UNCP Teacher Education Program is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and the Graduate Elementary Education program is approved by the NC State Board of Education. The program is offered for practicing teachers that hold , or are eligible to hold, a Standard Professional I teaching license in elementary education and individuals who complete the Graduate Elementary Education program are eligible for a master's level teaching license through the NC State Board of Education. Two years of full-time teaching experience is recommended, but not required.