• weather Alert ✖CLOSE

    Due to winter weather, the university will operate on condition 2—suspended operations—until 11 a.m. Thursday, January 18. The university will operate on condition 1--reduced operations--from 11 a.m. until 5 p.m. Thursday. More information can be found at: uncp.edu/news/winter-weather-wednesday-january-17



Graduate Programs

Is Science Education at UNCP right for you? WATCH A VIDEO!

Would you like a colorful program brochure or flyer? If so, click on either brochure or flyer (both are PDF files) (Requires Adobe Reader)


The Biology Department offers the graduate programs, in cooperation with the Chemistry and Physics and Geology and Geography Departments, leading to a:

1) Master of Arts (M.A.) in Science Education and a

2) Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) degree in Science Education

Graduate degrees available include a Master of Arts (M.A.) degree in Science Education – Comprehensive,  a M.A. degree in Biology Education, and a M.A. degree in Middle Level Science (grades 6 –9). An M.A. degree in Science Education, non-licensure concentration, is available for those who do not wish to earn a teaching license. For example, those who have careers in community colleges or other non-formal settings such as museums, aquaria, nature centers, etc. 

For those who already have a bachelor's degree in the natural sciences or a related field but wish to obtain a teaching license, the Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) degree with science specialization at the middle grades level (6-9) or at the high school level (9-12) can lead to either a teaching license (Phase I) or both a teaching license and a graduate degree (Phase I and II).

To see which graduate science education program is right for you, click PDF (Requires Adobe Reader) or Word.

Degree Check Sheets 

Graduate Science Education Faculty (PDF) (Word)

Need more information?  Contact the Director of Graduate Programs in Science Education, Dr. Rita Hagevik at rita.hagevik@uncp.edu.

Apply today! Or for additional information and to apply, see the School of Graduate Studies and Research at UNCP.