- November 12, 2015: 7th Annual Honoring Native Foodways
Honoring Native Foodways has four central goals: to celebrate Native American Heritage Month in November; to help UNCP students, faculty and staff honor, understand, and sample foods that are indigenous to the Americas; to emphasize healthy foods that have been part of traditional Indigenous diets for centuries, and which can still be easily prepared today; and to cultivate campus and community collegiality through that experience we all enjoy: eating! Honoring Native Foodways invites the campus and local communities to this free public event.
- April 7-8, 2016: Twelfth Annual Southeast Indian Studies Conference
- Associate Professor Jane Haladay wins award for best scholarly publication at the 2015 Native American Literature Symposium. Dr. Haladay won the Beatrice Medicine Award for best critical essay of the year on Native American literature, given by the Charles Redd Center for Western Studies at Brigham Young University. The article is titled "Keeping It Real: Simon Ortiz Resists 'The San Francisco Indians,'" published in Wicazo Sa Review, Volume 29, Number 2, Fall 2014, pp. 5-24.
Professor Jay Hansford C. Vest publishes new book, "Native American Oralcy: Interpretations of Indigenous Thought" (Vernon, BC: JCharlton Publishing, 2014)
Native American Oralcy: Interpretations of Indigenous Thought is a work of criticism designed to challenge the misadventures of modernity in its divorce from the organic world. Engaging Native American / First Nations oral traditions as they embrace an paradigm of thought that engenders accord with nature, this study challenges the creeping ideological abstractions that ensue with the mind-over-matter mentality of the Western literary paradigm. It is an insight into the once and future wisdom essential to earth care.
- Dr. Stan Knick's "Knowledge, Wisdom & The Traditional Mind: The Nottoway in the 21st Century" wins Best Regional Film at the 17th Annual Native American Film Festival of the Southeast.
- April 16-17, 2015: Eleventh Annual Southeast Indian Studies Conference
- March 19, 2015: Native American Speakers Series to host the 1491s, an American Indian comedy group
- November 13, 2014: 6th Annual Honoring Native Foodways (PDF)
- American Indian Foodways and Recipes booklet