School of Graduate Studies and Research

Admissions Requirements

Guidelines and Requirements | International Student Requirements | Application Deadlines | Visiting Students | Enrichment Applicants

Guidelines and Requirements

All students seeking to enroll in any graduate class must be admitted to the School of Graduate Studies. Information for international and visiting students is given at the bottom of this page. To be considered for full or provisional admission to a degree program, an applicant must:

  1. submit a completed application form to the School of Graduate Studies;
  2. pay $45.00 non-refundable or $60.00 non-refundable for International applicants application fee. Call the Cashier Office with credit card--910-521-6410 or 521-6206 or pay in person in the Cashier Office with cash, check/money order or credit card;
  3. submit one official transcript from all colleges/universities attended to the School of Graduate Studies (address on left side bar); your undergraduate transcripts must indicate the date that the applicant’s baccalaureate degree was awarded. *Even if you have only taken one class at another institution, we need that transcript, as well;
  4. have a satisfactory undergraduate academic record and meet at least one of the following minimum GPA (4.0 scale) requirements: Must have an overall GPA of at least a 2.5 on all undergraduate work or 3.0 for MSN program, or an overall GPA of at least a 3.0 in the undergraduate major, or a GPA of at least a 3.0 on all undergraduate work taken in the senior year;
  5. submit an official report of satisfactory scores no older than five years at the time of application submission of the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) or the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) {required for MPA} except for the following: 
          *Students applying to the MSN program can waive the entrance exam if they have at least a 3.5 overall undergraduate GPA. 
          *Students applying for the MBA program may submit Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) or GRE scores. 
          *Students applying for Professional School Counseling or Clinical Mental Health Counseling do not have to submit entrance exam scores.
  6. have three recommendations submitted on their behalf.  At least one recommendation should be from a college/university faculty member in the undergraduate major of the applicant; others should be from the applicant’s employer/supervisor; and
  7. submit a copy of a current NC teaching license if applying to the M.S.A., M.A.Ed., or an M.A. licensure program.

Some programs require additional components or specific minimum scores. Check to see if there are additional, program-specific requirements for the program to which you are applying.

International Students
In addition to items listed above, international students must provide:

An official transcript evaluation report from World Education Service (WES), American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers or Josef Silny & Associates.

Official TOEFL or IELTS scores unless undergraduate degree from an English-based institution. TOEFL minimum required score is 550, or 213 if computer-based, or 80 for Internet-based for all programs except English Education which requires 570/230/88. 

Financial Verification forms (PDF - requires Adobe Reader)

Visiting Students
The application process for students who are enrolled in a graduate program at another institution and wish to take courses at UNCP to transfer back to their degree-granting institution requires:

  1. A completed application and application fee
  2. A letter from your Dean or Program Director stating that you are in good-standing and authorized to enroll at UNC Pembroke to earn transfer credit. The letter should also state the specific UNCP course to be taken. Please submit this letter to:

Dean, School of Graduate Studies
UNC Pembroke
P.O. Box 1510
Pembroke, NC 28372

Enrichment Applicants
The application process for students who have already earned a degree from an accredited institution of higher learning, who are not enrolled in a degree program at other institutions and wish to be enrolled in a graduate course(s) at UNCP for personal or professional enrichment purposes require:

  1. A completed application and application fee
  2. An official degree-dated transcript from an accredited institution.
  3. A letter or statement to the Dean of Graduate Studies requesting permission as an enrichment student. The applicant should also specify the course(s) that they are seeking.