The Esther G. Maynor Honors College at the University of North Carolina at Pembroke is designed to attract top student scholars by providing an atmosphere that is both academically and personally stimulating. The Honors College offers interdisciplinary seminars and discipline specific honors courses taught by distinguished faculty members; these courses enhance the general education curriculum, facilitate academic and personal growth, and encourage the interdisciplinary exploration of ideas. Honors students also gain a sense of community through shared residential facilities as well as cultural and service learning programs. The MHC helps students become independent, successful thinkers, researchers, and communicators while simultaneously preparing them to be responsible members of a global society.
Moreover, members of the Maynor Honors College receive additional benefits not offered to all students.
- Honors Living-Learning Communities: Most honors programs have specialized curricula, but at UNC Pembroke, you will get a specialized curriculum and the opportunity to live and learn with a tight knit group of peers who share your goal of academic excellence. All MHC students have opportunities to live with other Honors Scholars in shared residential facilities in Oak Hall.
- Honors Reading Room and Honors Computer Lab: Hickory Hall, the historic building that houses the Honors College is also the focal point for honors student activity. There you will find an honors reading room and a dedicated honors Mac computer lab.
- The Honors Scholar Laptop Initiative: All students in the Honors College have access to laptop computers to support their academic pursuits throughout their time in the college. These computers are provided free of charge to facilitate class work, enhance research, and foster engagement and connectivity.
- Priority Registration Status: All honors students receive early registration assignments during the pre-registration period each term. This ensures that honors students have first access to hard-to-get classes and guarantees a desirable schedule each semester.
- The Maynor Scholarship: Freshman honors students are eligible to apply for the Maynor Scholarship, which is a need-based scholarship established by Esther G. Maynor. This is one of the more significant scholarships on campus and is renewable for four years.
- Maynor Study Abroad Scholarships: All honors students are encouraged to apply for Maynor Study Abroad Scholarships that support scholastic efforts abroad. Learning in a cross-cultural environment can be one of the most memorable events for students. These scholarships are designed to help ensure honors students have these opportunities.
- UNCP Friends of the Library Endowed Scholarship: Sophomores, Juniors, and Senior honors students who are not recipients of merit scholarships can apply each year for The UNCP Friends of the Library Endowed Scholarship. This scholarship is valued at $500 and can be awarded each year for which a student remains in the college.
- Honors Scholar Fellowships: Only members of the Esther G. Maynor Honors College are eligible to receive Honors Scholar Fellowships. The purpose of these awards is to financially support academic progress of students in the Honors College. These Fellowships are awarded on the basis of academic merit and are renewable for up to 4 years.
The Maynor Honors College offers an intellectually stimulating social environment, greater curricular flexibility, and closer interaction with individual faculty members in the College.
As you explore this website, you should get a feel for all the unique opportunities available through the Honors College. After all, learning is supposed to be both challenging and fun. If you think the Honors College experience is right for you, and you meet the admissions requirements, please fill out an online application or contact us directly.
Institutional Member of National Collegiate Honors Council