NOTICE: This policy/regulation is presented in its format as of the date of posting to this website. The university is in the process of conducting a thorough review of all its policies and regulations. This policy/regulation has not yet been reviewed/vetted in accordance with REG 01.20.01.
- First Issued: 2013
- N.C. General Statute §116-40.5 - Campus law enforcement agencies
- UNC Code Appendix I, Section XV – Campus Security
- UNCP REG 01.20.01 – Procedure for Formatting, Adopting, and Publishing Polices and Regulations
- Commission on Law Enforcement Accreditation - Law Enforcement Accreditation
- NC State Constitution, Article VI - Suffrage and Eligibility to Office
- N.C. General Statute §17C - NC Criminal Justice Education and Training Standards Commission
- N.C. General Statute §160A-288 - Cooperation between law-enforcement agencies
- N.C. General Statute §90-95.2 - Cooperation between law-enforcement agencies
Contact Information: Associate Vice Chancellor for Campus Security and Emergency Operations, 910-775-4500
1.1 In accordance with North Carolina General Statute §116-40.5, the Board of Trustees of the University of North Carolina at Pembroke (UNCP) may establish a campus law enforcement agency and employ campus police officers. Such officers shall meet the requirements of Chapter 17C of the General Statutes, shall take the oath of office prescribed by Article VI, Section 7 of the North Carolina State Constitution, and shall have all the powers of law enforcement officers generally. The territorial jurisdiction of a campus police officer shall include all property owned or leased to the institution employing the campus police officer and that portion of any public road or highway passing through such property or immediately adjoining it, wherever located.
2. CAMPUS LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY DESIGNATION
2.1 The department of police and public safety is hereby designated the campus law enforcement agency for UNC Pembroke as described in N.C.G.S. §116-40.5 and shall have all the powers and authority described in said statute.
3. DELEGATION OF AUTHORITY
3.1 On July 26, 2013, the UNC Pembroke Board of Trustees granted (and ratified any previous agreements) the chancellor the authority to enter into joint agreements with governing boards as described in N.C.G.S. § 116-40.5(b), (c), and (d).
3.2 The chancellor of UNC Pembroke delegates (pursuant to REG 01.20.01, para. 6.9) limited authority to the director of police and public safety to:
3.2.b. draft and issue departmental/university regulations/general orders as necessary to be in accord with the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies, Inc. (CALEA) or other local or nationally recognized law enforcement accreditation agency standards.