When the fire alarm is heard, leave the building via the nearest exit and travel a safe distance from the building.
DO NOT USE THE ELEVATORS!
Assist all persons with impaired mobility to the nearest illuminated exit or stairwell to await rescue by trained personnel. Faculty and Staff should notify Campus Police of any known student or visitor with impaired mobility who is unable to independently exit the building.
Department Chairs, managers and supervisors are responsible for having a plan to account for employees and notify Campus Police of those missing who may be trapped in the building.
EVERY ALARM SHOULD BE TREATED AS A POTENTIAL FIRE.
State and local regulations require all occupants to leave the building if a fire alarm occurs.
Before a fire occurs, there are some simple steps you can follow that will aid your survival. Find the nearest exit and also an alternate exit, should the primary one be blocked. Ensure that the path out is clear of any obstructions and that all doors leading out of the building can be opened. Find the nearest fire extinguisher and learn how to use it if necessary.
IN THE EVENT OF A FIRE:
- Rescue any person in immediate danger.
- Sound the fire alarm. Pull stations are near each exit on each floor.
- Call Campus Police at 910.521.6235 or dial 911. (If you are calling from on campus, do dial '9' and then 911.) Stay on the phone until the dispatcher and/or Campus Police obtain all information.
- When the fire alarm sounds, evacuate the building immediately, using the nearest exit. As you exit, close as many doors as possible between you and the fire. Move a safe distance away from the building (at least 50 feet).
- Before opening any door, feel it with the back of your hand. If it is hot, do not open it! If it is not hot, open cautiously, bracing yourself against it to slam it shut if you feel a rush of heat.
- If the closest exit is blocked, go to an alternative exit. If all doors are blocked, exit through a ground floor window, but watch for broken glass.
IF YOU BECOME TRAPPED BY THE FIRE:
- Stay calm; fire fighters are on the way.
- Move as far away from the fire as you can, closing every door between you and the fire.
- Hang or wave an object from a window or outside the door to attract the attention of rescuers.
- If smoke enters under the door or around vents, stuff the opening with towels, drapes, or anything available. Soak them with water if possible.
- Crack open the window at the top to let heat and smoke out and at the bottom to let in fresh air. Stay as close to the floor as possible. Crawl if necessary.
IF YOU DECIDE TO FIGHT THE FIRE:
- Do not let the fire get between you and the exit.
- Avoid breathing smoke or fire gases.
- Use the proper fire extinguisher. Do not use water on an electrical fire.
- Pull the pin.
- Aim the nozzle at the base of the fire.
- Squeeze the handle.
- Sweep from side to side.
- Leave the area if the fire increases in intensity.